It’s not just another new year ahead of us, it’s a new decade! Now is a great time to reflect on how best to celebrate a new you. A short pause allows you to refocus your energy on DECLUTTERING. Some choose to DE-clutter their mind with yoga/exercise in search of a recharge, some choose to DE-clutter their garage/home storage in search for space saving, some choose to DE-clutter their closet in hopes that they can get to that special outfit to land that new job, or attend a daytime affair, or feel confident for a night out, or to just feel reinvigorated.
This last part is where Emerald N Oak, a styling company, can step in. Gone are the days of walking into a closet feeling overwhelmed and defeated. With the Wardrobe Maximization and DE-cluttering Service from ENO – we have this solved for you. We all lead busier lives these days and working toward creating a personalized style can be challenging.
Style, it’s underrated, majorly underrated.
I get asked a lot about what the most important pieces are to have in your closet. While everyone has their own look & unique lifestyles, there are pieces that will mix and mingle in every wardrobe, and these are the pieces we tackle first.
Closet editing is daunting. Where do you even begin? I’ve broken down some steps to help you get started:
- Begin with a fresh blank canvas- YES! Completely empty out your closet.
- All items must be placed out of closet sight & unto your bed Yes…all of it!
- Make it fun & blast your favorite music to get you rolling & motivated.
- Piece by piece evaluate objectively what you haven’t worn & why. Is it dated? Fit issues? No longer relevant to your lifestyle? Or are you struggling with what to work it back to? Take note….
- Make decisions- make a hard pass on parting with items that you haven’t utilized in awhile. This pile must be packed & taken out of sight immediately, ready for donation. This frees up a lot to look at & evaluate. You are on your way to your next step.
- Second pass, these are items you are on the fence. Take the time to try them on. This alone can help your decision making process with this second phase. Questions to ask- If I went out to shop, would I buy this again? Will I wear this in 3-6 months? If the answer is NO, time to purge. If the answer is YES, keep & continue rolling your items, piece by piece.
- Once you have streamlined & defined what you are keeping, it’s time to inject them back into your freshly cleaned closet. Light to dark, by category & by season. Invest in uniform hangers to keep things organized. I also prefer to place certain seasonal items in garment bags to keep them out of sight until it is time to switch out for the next season.
- Fewer choices yet with a refined & defined closet you are ready to make a list & shop filling in gaps.
What you should walk away with is a closet with endless options once the edit is complete & you are able to fill the holes with newly coveted pieces. Emerald N Oak offers personal shopping as another service. Now you have a closet worth shopping in. You can officially select your outfit without having any sort of fashion fatigue.
A chosen outfit that always represents your personal brand & style should empower you to be the best version of yourself. “When you look good, you do good”, and who doesn’t want that? A key goal of completing a closet edit is to maximize your CPW (Cost Per Wear) focusing on value of the item, not cost. For example, a $100 top worn once is not as valuable as a $100 top worn 5 different ways for 5 different occasions. Emerald N Oak will deliver this.
Author: Marlys Nylund | Creator & Chief Stylist of Emerald N Oak
Emerald N Oak offers a Closet Edit as a personalized service at an hourly rate among other styling options.